Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"I'll take the first week of college for $300"

One of my biggest fears is reading out loud. I have heart palpitations at the thought. I can talk out loud without any withdraws, but I cannot read out loud. So today I go into my English class, which I am taking simply to fulfill a gen ed, and one of the first things my professor says, "I hope you're comfortable reading out loud, because we're going to be doing a lot of that in here!" I was totally freaking out for awhile.  It got worse when she called on me to read a portion of the syllabus.  So I had a shaky voice and stuttered.... a lot. Seriously? Now she probably thinks I'm incompetent. Love it. Its not my fault I'm not a confident reader! So hopefully I won't have to do this often, and if I do, hopefully things will get better! 
So after that festive hour of my life I headed to my chemistry class, which I think will be ok. No interesting stories from there.
Then today there was a CEP, Cultural Enrichment Program. My usually trustworthy sister, Anna, told me there were going to be Chinese acrobats! I, in turn told several people the same thing.  I arrived at said CEP and there were no Chinese acrobats to be found.  There were some odd dancer/ interpretative movement people.... So I, as well as the people I had shared faulty information with were pretty let down.  
I went to Springs for lunch; it was great.  Then came a first of my time at PC... I came to my room, gathered my dirty clothes, and descended 5 flights of stairs to the basement of Clinton to do laundry.  I'm pretty sure asbestos lurks down there. I went down the stairs to put a load in, came back up, went back down to transfer the clothes/ put new clothes in the washer, came up, went back down to get the last load out of the washer and into the dryer, came back up, and finally went down to retrieve the last load from the dryer, and in turn came back up.  So that is 4 trips up and down the stairs, 20 flights of stairs just to do laundry. In shape? No I'm not.  I caught my breath after about an hour. Those 20 flights do not include the subsequent flights I took on a usual basis. BUT, I successfully washed 2 loads of clothes without any mishaps!!! 
So we went to dinner in GDH, I had some pasta. Again, nothing too exciting.  Then we went to a block party in Clinton.  I got lots of free stuff and entered to win several drawings (the main one I'm pulling for is a grill from Ingles. That's just what Clinton 4th needs is a grill!) I also signed up to be a big sister in the Big brothers/ Big Sisters program, a volunteer at the local nursing home, a helper with Relay for Life, and a worker with Habitat for Humanity. Productive trip to downtown Clinton? I think yes!
So after that I decided to finish my biology reading in the library!  By the way, words can't describe to you the difficulty I went through to get my hands on a book... I'm still waiting on one to come into the bookstore so I must borrow from others for the time being.  I felt very studious in the library, and I got a good 30 minutes of work in before I had to head to HP's computer lab to take the Jeopardy College Online Test.  For those of you who may not know, one of my gifts in life is excelling while watching Jeopardy.  So I figured, who better to be on this show than me?!  But, the questions weren't on my areas of expertise.  Therefore, I am not expecting a phone call from Alex anytime soon.  However, my precious friends sat there with me while I took it. 
So we headed back to the dorm, but I stopped by the library to finish up my biology.  Again, I felt very much on top of things! I'm thinking this become a routine! 
So for the most part, that was my day. I'll keep you posted as to if I receive any phone calls from Alex, or if I acquire a grill from Ingles! 

No comments:

Post a Comment