Sunday, March 21, 2010

"But I REALLY can't play basketball!"

Just because you are born with the gift of height does not mean you are born with the gift of coordination or athleticism.
Example. Today I went from the library to the gym to support ADPi's intramural basketball team. So I walked in, looked at our opponent and thought to myself that we better have a good team together because those girls were fierce. So not all the ADPis showed up that were supposed to play. Who gets roped into playing? That's right friends. Me. Who doesn't have not only any basketball experience, but also no experience on any sort of organized team at all? Yep. That's me too. The reasoning behind my being on this team? Twofold. One: I was wearing appropriate clothing. Two: I'm tall. I tried to explain to my fellow ADPis how inadequately prepared I am, but no success. I threw on a ripe smelling jersey and went to it. So. To review:
1. No basketball experience.
2. No coordination.
3. No concept of the rules or purpose of the game of basketball.
The game started. I was appointed to go head to head to try to gain possession of the ball. I want to say this is called tipping off, but I'm not too sure. Being the tallest one on the court, I was given this premo task by default. I could have told you this was a bad idea, but at this point, I had stopped trying to convey the fact that I was essentially worthless to the team. I had decided to roll with it. As you can imagine, I did not gain ADPi possession of the ball. My time on the court was limited to maybe 2 minutes. I kept the bench warm for the remainder of the game.
ADPi lost. I'm wondering if I'm now permanently on the team! Dear goodness, I hope not!
People have always told me that I should play basketball or volleyball, just based off the fact that I'm tall. Well, I would invite those people to come and watch this next game that I will very possibly be playing in, and they will quickly take back those words.
Lesson today... Never go to watch an intramural game if you are wearing exercise clothes or tennis shoes. You will be forced to play and you will not be able to weasel your way out.

2 comments:

  1. So, i see things haven't changed....ADPi's still don't show up to extracurriculars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA hate I missed this!

    ReplyDelete